Byers Peak

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Warp Speed Writing at Easter









The other night I drove home from the grocery store at night (thanks to Lauren and Kate's help with the coupons, I saved $110 in groceries!!!). It had just begun to snow pretty heavily and as I was driving along our country road I felt like the truck and I had switched to warp speed, flying through the universe to a distant galaxy! :) This morning it is cold at 25 degrees - and it's been snowing on and off for several days now - as it is even now. The trees are covered in snow - always such a beautiful thing to look at as I feel like I'm staring out our picture window at a black & white photograph.

The past few nights I've been visited by my old friend insomnia. She had grown distant since moving here - I think our life has been so busy and our bodies have been adjusting to this high altitude, that by nightfall we've just fallen into bed, happy but exhausted. But sometimes in the business, even if we're spending time in God's Word, there is a distance that can ensue. And in my life I think God has allowed insomnia to visit me so that I would hear His call on my heart.

Associated with the insomnia have been various thoughts and sorrows too. And I'm thankful that one of the ways God comforts us is by giving us the gift of tiredness and sleep - and He has given that after a while. That hasn't always been the case, so I don't take it for granted.



I've been going downstairs into the living room, in the dark, with the fireplace on, sitting at the picture window and watching the Winter Flowers swirl down from the sky - it's almost hypnotizing at times, they way these white flakes swirl and dance in the wind before they land in the blink of an eye - I almost wish I could slow it all down into slow motion so I could see how they do it - is it a waltz? Is it a country dance? A menuette?


Anyway, along with insomnia, come other friends.....prayer, pondering, journal.... I've been pondering this whole idea of writing and what a writer is. I know many good writers - or at least have read their writings. I am not one of them and don't have any illusions of such. I am too wordy and don't have clever ways of putting vocabulary together. But I am compelled at times to put pen to paper, feel the nip of my fountain pen against the pages of my journal, formulate into words, thoughts and feelings somehow jumbled up in my brain.


I remember in 6th grade, having a writing assignment in class. The teacher asked after several essays had been read if anyone thought they had a better essay and I raised my hand. Not because I thought it was better but because I SO wanted to share what I had written. After I had read it out loud the teacher and students managed to tear the essay to shreds verbally - the strange thing is that I have no hurt associated with that memory. I knew it wasn't as good as the others - I had just so enjoyed the writing process I HAD to share it! :) I think that's part of what blogging is about for many.

So, anyway, one of my prayers during these bouts of insomnia this week has been about how to help my family prepare for Easter. Christmas is easier for me - family coming in, or we may go to see family. So much excitement, so many traditions. Easter has been more difficult and with each move and with each stage in life I find myself having to readjust thoughts and ideas. When the kids were little I would use little kids things, the Easter Eggs filled with the symbols of the death and resurrection of Christ (and they've either broken or gotten lost in the many moves), Miss Patty Cake (who will drive any sane adult to the bring of insanity - but the kids love her! :) , Veggie Tales....Jenna still loves those... but the other two have outgrown these and are needing a much different approach.



When I was in 6th grade, I attended St. Elisabeth in Friedrichshafen, Germany - an all girls Catholic School run by nuns of the Franciscan order. At Easter time, they rented out a theater and took us to see the Jesus Film. I remember being deeply impacted and just "getting" it. Realizing that Jesus died FOR me, for my sin and what a JOYFUL celebration His resurrection was. Since then the makers of the Jesus film have come out with a version for children (I wouldn't say for the really young ones) - that you can see for free on their website in various different languages. I could tell Julie-Joy especially was impacted by that this week. I find it neat that we're also studying Roman culture and history right now - perfect for Easter!


I haven't been as prepared as I would like to be and a lot of our "manipulatives" for Easter traditions would be packed away in a box buried deep in the garage. So most of our preparations are centered around conversations etc. I think this year I would also like to prepare a leg of lamb if I can find one. Never done that before myself. We shall see....



Anyway, last night there were some thoughts about the death and resurrection story that came to mind and I'll share those in a separate blog. Because this one....is long enough! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment